MCC Cultural And Artistic Grants
The Massachusetts Cultural Council allocates money each year to the town to support programs in the Arts, Humanities, and Interpretive Sciences. The Falmouth Cultural Council calls for grant proposals, chooses the projects to grant, and supervises the distribution of the grants.
The Falmouth Cultural Council recognizes the arts as the visual arts (painting, illustrating, printing, and photography), plastic arts (sculpture, ceramics, glass, jewelry, woodworking, architecture, and product design), performing arts (music, theater, dance), digital arts (audio, graphics, image, video, and web design), fiber arts, and literary arts. Then there are any venue, producers or "Cultural" entity that supports these arts.
Grant Application Forms are created by the MCC, and are available at least three weeks prior to the October 15 submission deadline at the Falmouth Town Hall and at the Falmouth Public Library. Please read the Falmouth Guidelines (below) before submitting applications to the Falmouth Cultural Council, and follow them when filling out the forms. See the Mass. Cultural Council site for additional tips, guidelines, and information.
- Who may apply? Massachusetts residents, artists, non-profit community groups, cultural institutions and schools with an activity related to the arts, humanities or interpretive sciences
- Criteria for awarding funds (not necessarily in this order)
- Community Benefit, particularly under-served and cross-generational communities.
- Potential to promote excellence, access, educational opportunities, or diversity in the arts, humanities or interpretive sciences
- Evidence of a track record of work in the broad disciplines of the arts, humanities or interpretive sciences
- Financial need
- Community support and involvement
- Ability to reach underserved populations
- Quality of the project and demonstration of planning
- All venues must be handicapped accessible
- Priority is given to Falmouth area artists and interpreters of the sciences, Falmouth-based cultural organizations, and Falmouth audiences. Events should take place in Falmouth or benefit the Falmouth Community. For events and activities, contact should be made and documented with the sponsoring institution. (For example, if you wish to have an activity at the Senior Center, you must contact the Senior Center Director as part of the planning process prior to submitting an application).
- The Application must be complete. All applications must be typed and signed by the applicant. Programs must be specifically described with names, artist fees, letters of support from collaborators/facilities, etc.
- The proposed project must occur after the Falmouth Cultural Council approves the project; generally by mid-January. The project may occur up to a year after approval is given, however it may not occur before submitting your proposal and receiving approval.
- Notification of Approval/Disapproval: The Falmouth Cultural Council will meet in early November to review the applications. The Council will inform any applicants of disapproval by the end of November, and approval by mid January.
- This is a reimbursement program, and Request for Payment forms are mailed to recipients upon final State approval.
- Grant payments are in the form of reimbursement. When it comes time to make payment on the grants, recipients must submit paid receipts and proof that the proposed project happened.
- Grant recipients are required by law to include the MCC logo statement in all publicity.
Links to the Application Forms
Local Cultural Council Applications